Thursday 17 July 2014

Free Motion Mavericks - Week 7 - Barefoot Treadling



For the first time for ages I have done a bit of work towards the free motion sampler quilt.  I am using up some of my mini stash of Oakshott cottons.  Each block is made up of two main colours, separated by a narrow strip made up of little oddments.  The first step is to quilt the central strip, then do something interesting on either side.

Some of the panels have turned out better than others.  Today I decided to try out a fancy leaf based on 18th century silk designs.  My birthday treat was a visit to the Fashion Museum in Bath, where there is a fantastic exhibition of Georgian costumes.  I spent ages with my nose glued to the glass, staring at the gorgeous colours and designs, and came home with a book of photographs of Spitalfields silks in the collection at the Victoria and Albert Museum

A bit of extra fun today was making this video.


The video is a bit fuzzy, I know, but you get the general idea - hot day, treadling barefoot and working up a raging thirst for tea.



Here is an individual leaf.  First I quilt the veins of the leaf, then go round it in a simple leaf shape, and then round again in a serrated leaf shape.

So here goes again with Free Motion Mavericks...

A very cosy, select party last week.  Many thanks to Gina, Hilary, Gwyned and Dora for taking part.

If you love free motion quilting, whether you are a beginner just taking the plunge, or you have reached the stage where you can do ostrich feathers with your eyes shut and still achieve perfect symmetry, then please link up.

Remember, FMQ is FMQ, whether your machine was made last week, or it is older than your granny.

Here are the very easy and slightly elastic rules:-

1.  Link up with any recent post, ideally from the last week but within the last month, which features a free motion quilting project.

2.  Link back to this post in your own post and/or grab the linky button for your blog's sidebar.
  .
3.  Visit as many of the other participants as possible and say hello in the comments box.

4.  The link up will remain open for four days, from midnight to midnight GMT for the long weekend, Friday to Monday.

So far bloggers from USA, England, Wales, Australia, Canada, Germany and Holland have taken part.  The first participant from each new country will get a special mention the following week!

Linking up to Kelly's blog My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday
and Sarah's blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Whoop Whoop Friday
and Nina Marie's blog Creations... Quilts, Art... Whatever for Off the Wall Friday






10 comments:

  1. Very pretty stitching! I have a treadle machine, but I need a new band for it- right now it is just decorative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessim! It is a real faff sometimes sorting out a treadle belt, but total pleasure once it's done and you are sewing.

      Delete
  2. Love the quilting pattern. Will have to add that to my pattern notebook. As requested I'm linking my log cabin star. ( I was going to anyway) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't see the video but love your quilting - nicely done! Ostrich feathers - what a great idea for FMQ - I must try this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Muv,
    No free motion to share this week, but wanted to chime in here and tell you I enjoyed your video. As always, your stitching is just lovely. I never thought of doing the veins first, then the outline. Is that machine electric, or are you treadling? (And is treadling a word? lol) Enjoy the warm weather. We actually have a ridiculously off-season temperature of 63 this morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda,

      Yes, veins first every time - it gives a framework to guide you for the outline.

      It's 75 here today, but it seemed hotter yesterday...

      Delete
  5. Ha, I just realized the electric vs. treadling was a dumb question. Of course you're treadling, how did I miss that? It's been that kind of week. Five or six mistakes in the studio yesterday alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... pretty hot for treadling. I've never used an electric machine.

      Bad news, having a mistakes day. Take the day off and consider it thinking time. Not that I ever do that, I just carry on and get grumpy.

      Love, Muv

      Delete
    2. Ha, me too!
      I'd never seen a treadle machine run until I saw your video here. I never dreamed they ran so fast!!

      Delete
  6. Hello Lizzy,
    I did not manage to lonk up this time, but I will next time!!!
    Lobe linky parties like this one!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...