Thursday 19 March 2015

Free Motion Mavericks - Week 36 - Leaves and Berries



Chaos reigns.  Two young men have smashed out all our front windows, and tomorrow they will be doing the same in my sewing room.  The 85 year old metal frames had to go, and we can now look forward to fewer draughts and less condensation.  You never know, furry sewing machine handles might become a thing of the past.  I will miss the history, though.  I was always very proud of the fact that we lived in a house that still had the hooks for hanging up the blackout blinds.

The only free motion quilting I have done this week was a panel of leaves and berries, which will be part of the free motion sampler quilt I was working on months ago.  It was nice and easy to do, but I'm not convinced I picked the best colour thread.  Errors of judgment are allowed on sampler quilts.



blogbutton photo peacockfmq025_zpse5bceb10.jpg



Here goes for week 36...

Many thanks to Heulwen, Maartje, Alison, Hilary, Linda, Mary, Teresa, Carole, Angie and Andree for linking up last time.

If you love free motion quilting, whether you are a beginner just taking the plunge, or you have reached the stage where you can do ostrich feathers with your eyes shut and still achieve perfect symmetry, then please link up.

Remember, FMQ is FMQ, whether your machine was made last week, or it is older than your granny.

Here are the very easy and slightly elastic rules:-

1.  Link up with any recent post, ideally from the last week but within the last month, which features a free motion quilting project, whether it is a work in progress or a finish.

2.  Link back to this post in your own post and/or grab the linky button for your blog's sidebar.
  .
3.  Visit as many of the other participants as possible and say hello in the comments box.

4.  The link up will remain open for four days, from midnight to midnight GMT for the long weekend, Friday to Monday.

So far quilters from USA, England, Wales, Australia, Canada, Germany, Holland, New Zealand, France and Macau have taken part.  The first participant from each new country will get a special mention the following week.

Linking up to Kelly's blog My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday
and Angie's blog A Quilting Reader's Garden for WIPs Be Gone  
and Sarah's blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Whoop Whoop Friday.

10 comments:

  1. At least you keep your errors of judgement confined to sampler quilts! Mine show up on all of my quilts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I forgot to add, I think the variegated thread looks good. I have had trouble using variegated thread effectively. On patterned fabric, it tends to get lost. I like how it shows up on the white background in your sampler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not like rebuildings, but when it is over and it was worthwhiie...... Love those berries and must try that too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad I stumbled onto your blog today! I clicked through the My Quilt Infatuation link party to find you. I too am learning FMQ a day at a time, and would love to follow along with you.

    Thank you for the opportunity to link up here.

    Julie @ Pink Doxies

    ReplyDelete
  5. You might consider requesting your link-up party be added to the Link party list at www.quiltalong.net/ for more exposure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Myra! Yes, I have just nipped over there and hope to be added to the list fairly soon.

      Delete
  6. Yes, errors are allowed, but I would not call this an error by any means. The colors are quite pretty together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the mention! I love your leaves and berries quilt design....so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sample shows me how to use varigated threads. Thank you. I missed the linky party because I haven't had a chance to sandwich a WIP. My one stumbling block to getting things quilted. Thanks for linking to WIPs Be Gone. Now I wonder what you'll show this week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Angie, These days I use nothing but variegated threads. They make life more interesting.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...