Thursday 6 October 2016

Free Motion Mavericks - Week 109 - Surprise Quilt


Here it is - my most unplanned quilt to date!  Nine practice panels that have been stuffed in a bag for about three years are all now joined together and bound into a rather idiosyncratic quilt.

It is the right size to sit on the top of a double bed, but the only room today where the light was good enough for photos was my daughter's bedroom, so I flung it over a single bed.


The poor light played in my favour, with the shadow showing up the quilting really well.  The rudbeckias panel had to go in the middle because it is my favourite, and the grapes and the oak leaves above and below are the only panels with strongly contrasting cotton, so they went in the central column also.

I really loved how the pale brown gingham joining strips toned in with the cream colour of the panels.


I wasn't sure whether I would have enough for the binding.  It was a narrow squeak - I had about two and a half inches left over!


I am so pleased I could keep with the gingham theme.  If I had had to use another fabric for just a couple of inches I have no idea what I would have used.


The back is what might be termed fortunate random.  I didn't even look at the back when planning the placement of the panels.  It is pure chance that two identical panels didn't end up side by side.


This quilt has been an eye opener for me.  I have never had any inclination to make a one colour quilt, and I usually avoid pale colours.  However, now I have finished and am so surprised and delighted with the result, I think I might have to make another one.  Not just yet, though.



blogbutton photo peacockfmq025_zpse5bceb10.jpg



Here goes for week 109...


A big cheer for Olena for being the only person who linked up last week and saving me from sobbing all over my sewing machine.  If you haven't seen her beautiful autumn study yet, nip over now and see more photos.


hand dyed fabric quilt




If you love free motion quilting, whether you are a beginner just taking the plunge, or you have reached the stage where you can do ostrich feathers with your eyes shut and still achieve perfect symmetry, then please link up.

Remember, FMQ is FMQ, whether your machine was made last week, or it is older than your granny.

Here are the very easy and slightly elastic rules:-

1.  Link up with any recent post, ideally from the last week but within the last month, which features a free motion quilting project, whether it is a work in progress or a finish.

2.  Link back to this post in your own post and/or grab the linky button for your blog's sidebar.
  
3.  Visit as many of the other participants as possible and say hello in the comments box.

4.  The link up will remain open for four days, from midnight to midnight GMT for the long weekend, Friday to Monday.


So far quilters from the USA, England, Wales, Australia, Canada, Germany, Holland, New Zealand, France, Macau, Russia and Ireland have taken part.  The first participant from each new country will get a special mention the following week.

Linking up to Kelly's blog My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday
and Sarah's blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Whoop Whoop Friday
and Nina-Marie's blog Creations... Quilts, Art... Whatever for Off The Wall Friday
and Amanda Jean's blog Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday.


9 comments:

  1. I am loving how all the different details have come together. The back is what I love about quilting - happy random accidents are what makes a quilt for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely unplanned quilt - the best sort I think😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stunning quilt and all from practice pieces. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your sampler quilt is awesome! Using those pieces is like finding a free quilt almost completely finished :) And the gingham is perfect for the sashing and binding. I'm trying to use more unusual neutrals like that in my piecing; more interesting than just solid white or off-white.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry you were feeling down about your link up. I think you are very inspirational with the work you do. I look forward to checking this link up each week. I do not have a blog yet and I am just begining to do my quilting after allowing a few tops build up. I am not yet ready for free motion, but I am a lot less intimidated because of link ups like these. Please know that there are people you touch even when you aren't aware of us. I would not be nearly so brave without seeing what so many of you share. I am planning a blog and will be joining links as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, you are so sweet! Thank you so much.

      Delete
  6. I've only ever really dabbled in quilting but I love following what you do. All the previous comments have said exactly what I think too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'd never guess that you hadn't meant it to be a complete quilt from the very start, I think it looks lovely and very tactile :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always looked at the quilt as you go method, but the ones I've seen done didn't look nearly as well done as yours. I'm impressed, and with the variety of quilting it is especially beautiful. So nicely finished.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...